Sunday, March 30, 2008

Remembrances

Ok, real quick post before my math test tomorrow.

STATUTORY WARNING: This post is going to be serious. Yep, you heard that right. Serious. But hey, don't worry, I'll be back tomorrow with more funny posts, so keep your spirits up. Well, here goes ...

I have studied at South Point High School for about - let's see - thirteen years. And now there's come a time when I am going to have to leave.

To cut a long story short, today I want to remember my school, because in five months all it will be is a memory. I don't mean the Vogons will come down in their yellow constructor fleets and annihilate South Point High School or anything. It's just that I won't ever look at its doors with the eyes of a student. And that is hard.

I was studying differential equations (bit of a mood-spoiler, isn't it?) a while ago, and I - er - dozed off a bit. Hey come on, differential equations aren't exactly spellbinding stuff. The point is, I closed my eyes and swam around in a whirl of memories. And what kept coming back most was the thought of the school I am about to leave.

There were a few teachers in my school who I - to put it lightly - didn't quite like. In fact, I used to have all sorts of uncomfortable feelings (fever, nosebleed, plague, whatever - all depending on the degree of nastiness of the teacher in question) whenever a day dawned in which I was supposed to attend a class taught by those teachers. I remember the swirling conflicting thoughts that would rage on in my head before their classes began. "Why do I have to do this?" "Why doesn't something terrible happen to the teacher?" "What the hell am I doing here?" and the like.

Today I suddenly missed that feeling. Bit of a hollow sensation in my stomach, really.

So I decided to go ahead and post a poem I wrote earlier (it's in my Facebook profile or something I think), and upload a video I made recently. Both of them are dedicated to my school - South Point.


The Long and Winding Road






A Life Ends

My school is ending.

For thirteen years I have roamed its corridors,
As my sweat mingled with the sweat of a thousand others in its wake,
Breathing the same air,
Feeling the same emotions,
Living the same life.

And now it is Time.
Time to say goodbye.

How? The seconds stretched into hours, the hours stretched into days, the days stretched into months, the months into years, the years into memories.

And now it is time to cut the ropes and be free.

It is time to edge out my little lonely dangerously swaying boat out into the great big ocean with no shores in sight.

It is time to put the wind on my back and set sail from the shores I have known in search of places yet to be visited and friends yet to be discovered.

It is time to be free.

If only all the memories would let go. The memories of a life soon to be left behind, one that calls out to me from the depths of my childhood, one that shaped my mind and wrought my dreams.

My school is ending.

And I have to let go.


[For the curious, the first song in the video is from an amazing recent Bengali movie called The Bong Connection. The track, Majhi Re, is actually a symbolic song; through an extended metaphor, it compares childhood to a paper boat set afloat in the wide sea. Hmmmmmm. Yes, see what I meant by serious? But hey, it's a beautiful song. As for the second song, I doubt any of you will need any introduction.]

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's such a beautiful entry. you made the vid by yourself? that's great work you know. totally different from your first three entries. you should be a writer, mate.

Anonymous said...

beautiful post.

Chappli said...

Hey Rik, nice video.. Btw, hope you remember me.. I'm Vignesh from IMOTC, and if you don't, I'll be meeting you again this year...:P And yeah, I happen to be a good friend to Shruthi too...

Samantha said...

u totally should take up writing, ur such a natural. i love ur blog. and i know how it feels to leave ur school. we gave farewell to our class12s this Jan, they looked so morose! but keep up the great spirits u hve! :)im giving my class 11 exams by the way.

udi said...

That's a great post. See, didn't I tell you that you are a damn good writer. Even the people here agree with me.

Btw, Hi Vignesh.

Samantha said...

achha did u read my whole blog? did u get wht i wrote in there?
i want to know, so plz leave me an answer.

Awake Dreamer said...

Hey, Vogons are dumb enough to do that..They won't do that.
BTW, It is a great post. You write good. You had been to the school terrace? If yes, it's just WOW. I had tried..but failed everytime. LOL.

Anonymous said...

nice post *sniff sniff*.
oh u call urself 'pointers', couldn't help not noticing with my computer science exam tomoro!
oh..u really shud edit wiki and add ur name to the famous students list!

Anonymous said...

*well..the exams is today :P(its 2.24 am!)

Jahnabi said...

Awww .. Rik!
You so remind of the time when I had to leave my school last year. Although I was there for only two years, I have so many memorable experiences from my high school days. Separation is a part of life and you have to learn to move on. :)

Shruthi said...

Pokey got all emotional :) :D

But seriously, I guess I understand what you are feeling! Not only about your school, but definitely more so about differential equations.

And I just saw parts of the bong connection on dvd sometime back :D !! the song is pretty nice :D

Ashwath said...

Very nice. I can imagine how much you will miss your school. You write really well!

Anonymous said...

poetic.

L'Anion said...

my blog's up!

Chappli said...

Hey udi.. Howz life??:P

udi said...

I'm doing great!! Aaah, I wish I could (truthfully)say that. "JEE chem" and "great" do not fair well in a single sentence. But perhaps we should commute using some different form of communication and leave this one for praises for the Z-particle. Speaking of which, Rik, I can't wait for the post on the Duck Cult!!!

There, it's now a legitimate comment.

♥anindita♥ said...

hey nice video...
you've prompted me to put up my video in my school's memory...
waah!
i don't want to leave school :(
well, where in Kolkata is South Point High School?
on a lil higher note, i can't wait to get to Kolkata....is it very hot now??

Anonymous said...

it was marvellous..............it leaves me spellbound.......tears were rolling down my cheeks.......but i am a little disappointed coz u didnt take my pic on the last day..........

surya said...

2 words 2 describe d post BYAPOK & NOSTALGIC.... uff reminds al of us about d gud old days in south point... i guess we al miss our skul a lot....